Thursday, January 31, 2008

7 Easy Tips for Better Eating Habits

One of the most important things that needs your attention is what you eat and how you do it. Good eating habits are so necessary to be at your best and today we’ll look at 7 really simple techniques that you can use to improve your eating habits. Continuous practice of these habits will lead to a more energetic, fulfilling and healthy life.

  1. Avoid eating junk. Look at your food and assess whether you are taking care of your body or ruining it.
  2. Have watery food, like fresh salads. Drink more water. It is known to flush toxins from your body.
  3. Don’t eat too much or too less. Stick to moderate proportions.
  4. Eat slowly. Chew your food. Eating works like the way pills do: The more you feel it’s going to work, the more it is going to work. Always take your time and feel every bit of food that you eat. Follow it to your stomach. This would take just a few minutes of your time. Don’t tell me you’re that busy! ;)
  5. Stick to your eating schedule. At times when I’m upto something that’s really important, I skip my meals thinking that missing it once or twice will not be a problem. But trust me, it is going to disturb your biological cycle and my advice is: never do this!
  6. Avoid distractions while eating. I had this annoying habit of watching TV or gaping at my computer screen while eating. I thought I was being practical: I didn’t want to waste time. But soon I realized how bad it is for my body and I dumped my distractions completely. Now I feel calm and uncluttered while eating.
  7. Avoid smoking and alcohol intake before or after food. Many smokers feel the need to smoke after meals at home, work or a restaurant. Nicotine stops hunger pains and makes your blood sugar level go up. And about alcohol, studies indicate that some of the ingested alcohol is trapped by food in the stomach causing a delay in absorption. My advice: Smoke and drink at a later time and see your appetite grow. It is much healthier that way.

Make a list of your eating habits and review them honestly. It’s good to know how well your eating is. If you come up with some more tips for better eating habits, which I’m sure you will, please share them with us in the comments section.